"Re-read the manuscript, get ready for the shame and shlute it to the editor": Interview with the writer Alexei Salnikov
Roman "Petrov’s influenza and around him", first published in 2016, talks about the car mechanic Petrov and members of his family, who are ill before a new year and lose the face between reality and hallucinations. This book has turned the writer from Ekaterinburg Alexei Salikov in the National Bestseller Prize laureate and literary star. Edu Technophobia found out the author that the most severe in the literary work, as he had to mined money before he wrote the first book, and what is the writer success.
"Is it possible to get rich on the books – the question is not to me, but to Joan Rowling"
– You have found fame after the release of the novel "Petrov in Flu and around it". How to work on the book?
– Already, honestly, I do not remember how it happened. Only the green wall of our encouraged Kitchen remained in the head. On this wall I sometimes raised my eyes. The idea of the novel was the funny, but wild: that we, let and living in one family, sometimes do not know everything about each other. That our child, even growing in our eyes, about which we seem to know everything, – because we know that he is watching what books we read to him that he eats, in the end, is still a mystery for us. Well, another book about how much we are close to each other, even quite distant people. So close, No Matter How Far, yes.
Wrote in his free time, because the success of the novel did not believe. Just himself was curious to finish and detail the invented story. Then I was engaged in Scripture for money: I made descriptions of goods, I translated a little, including articles, reworked coursework to complete unrecognizability.
– and besides, they worked as someone else?
– Oh, who just did not work. Even I had to finish. I silent there and Syam, in the chassis, the cars were picking, worked in the boiler room, even Doros to the priest brigadier. But this brigadier was rather spoken of responsibility on the youngest.
At the same time I am writing from childhood, so I have never seen yourself to anyone except the writer. Always perceived any job in terms of convenience or as a certain literary material. In one place you can safely read and write, and on the other – no. That’s all the convenience.
– Surely after the success of "Petrov in the flu and around it" was a slight dizziness. How did you manage to win and force yourself to write the following books?
– win yourself every day. Then it turns out that it won myself in vain and better lay on the couch and did not hurry, because to rewrite what has already sketched, remove whole pieces of text quite painfully – it’s easier to rewrite everything again. And these year or two in the same text – to repeat it with variations, pretending to be better – rather tedious for the head, because the idea is all the time with you, you keep up with it everywhere, even sleep like Loe, and still twist and syak.
– How long does it take work on one book?
– If you count down from the moment when the idea arose, to the point at the end, then all this business takes several years. "Petrov" came up with seven years, probably. Two or three years looked at the first one and a half of the page and everything did not know how to approach. Something lacked.
"Department" also spinned in the head while walked with a dog in the forest. "Indirectly" so in general from adolescence was drawn up in a book. Such a feeling that poems began to write only in order to come up with this novel, at least partially representing what the life of the average poet.
– You told that the Roman "Department" was sometimes drunk. Alcohol helps you in work on books?
– not sometimes, and just once. Alcohol does not help in work. Vice versa. If you wake up in the morning after gatherings with friends, I want to drink water, although it will be worse. I want to smoke, and too will only worse, and come to yourself all day. Nausea, among other things, and not so right sick, or either sick, or not. It’s even worse. What is the help here in work?
– and what helps? What knowledge is generally needed to become a writer? University, for example, you did not graduate, not mentioned about literary courses, only about the poetic studio in Nizhny Tagil.
– Literary courses, in principle, were. It was a seminar Yuri Kazarina and Yevgeny Kasimov at the Ekaterinburg State Theater Institute. Course "Literary Work", or "Literary Worker". But here I could not finish. Although everything is very rapidly turned into friendship with these teachers, and this friendship lasts so far.
Literary work began immediately that interesting. Publications appeared, became entertaining to pick up in their own texts to make another selection, surprise someone another poem. For a while there was a unconditional understanding of the fact that in the text well, and what is bad. For several years literally fell out of life, while it was engaged in this relocation of words. It seems that it was worth.
Photo: "Elena Shubina Editorial Office"
And what before education, I do not know, honestly. Saw a collective collection of academicians of the Ural branch of the our Academy of Sciences. It is clear that the participants of this collection were not without education, but it did not affect the most interesting poems or not. Most – no. You will not believe: there was about the fact that mom needs to love, because she gave birth to you in flour, and so on.
Literature is such a thing in which the longer you are, the less you understand how it is arranged.
Therefore, the most beautiful time for creativity – youth, because this is a period of unconditional confidence in our own forces.
– You can now say about yourself that you are a professional writer and literature you feed you?
– How has your lifestyle changed after booking?
– Not very strong, so the fee from one novel was enough to repair and quiet life. And for the fees with three novels, there is enough to life even more relaxed. That before part-time, then I willingly write something, if you ask, I go somewhere if you are invited. But this is not from the category "I have", I will be happy to communicate with people.
– Is it possible to get rich on writing books?
– This is not a question for me, but to Joan Rowling.
"Want to tell something to the reader – repeat it several times, preferably using the capslock"
– where did your love for literature started?
– It all started with a geographical satin. For a long time tortured relatives, questioning how the letter or other read. They did not give any importance to this. And once aunt came to dine to us and, perhaps, choked when he heard the words from the next room, which did not expect from the preschooler: "Liechtenstein, Berlin, Barcelona".
Further, love for reading developed from the books that I chose myself and slipped my mom. Especially literature loved when he broke his leg at seven years and first lay on the hood, and then went to the gypsum. Love could not not develop, because I was written out first-in-free Jolly Pictures magazine, and then "Murzilka", "Pioneer", "Kostyon", "Young Naturalist", "Young Technique", where the traditional was the rubric of fiction. Went to the library. At the time when the entertainment in the village under the bottom tagil was not very much, it was difficult not to read.
Among the favorite books was "lion and dog" Leo Tolstoy. She Meril his sentimentality – checked, tears will go, will not go. All the time walked. I also liked the "seller of adventures" George Sadovnikova, "Twelve chairs" Ilf and Petrov, "ants do not give up" Ondřeye, "Coupling, Polotina and Mokhovaya Beard" EO Rauda, "Old Man and the Sea" Ernest Hamingway.
– How close to your desire to become a professional writer? How to speak about your books and do recognize themselves in them?
– When I was a child and teenager, relatives thought it was kind of priduri. Well, you know, when the child is asked what he is going to be when you grow up, and he is responsible, for example, an astronomer, and relatives are, "Oh-oh-oh!"- And no one believes. Now the situation has changed a little. Sister and niece seem to like some relatives in Estonia too, but I don’t know about the rest.
Wife and Son is another story. It is still done in some way together, as a student of his wife and son, work of his wife, moving, death of dogs, troubles and successes. Wife and friends sometimes recognize any things borrowed from life. But this is ok.
Photo: "Elena Shubina Editorial Office"
– On the website of the AST Publishing House About you it is written: "He considers his wife the most important criticism of his work and fully trusts its assessment". Rewritten something if I didn’t like my wife?
– Yes, in the same "Petrov" Aida had to be done more explicit than he was in the first handwritten editorial office. Since then, hardly learned the unwritten rule: if you want to say something to the reader, repeat it several times, preferably using the capslock. But when Lena did not like that the heroine "Indirectly" takes back the former husband, here I did not interfere, because what only does not happen between people.
As soon as I finish the manuscript, I immediately give Lena to read, but in the process, it happens, I discuss something. Not only with her, with friends, too, I also start talking on topics that can come in handy. Then they remember: they say, here we talked about it, about it too. Lena is also noticed, she really likes it, it is best for her, it is best to see where one or another episode appeared. In this, probably one of several advantages of life with a writer.
"The heroes are accepted to conduct dialogues that do not invent already – they themselves appear"
– How your working day is built? Where do you prefer to work, what instruments use when you write?
– I wake up, I wash off, walking the dog, I go for cigarettes, my floors, I sit for work. Some items in the morning routine, sometimes change in places. From tools except Word.
– How do you work on the text?
– oddly enough, this is partly something actor. Invent the character, compose the adventures, try to survive these adventures, write down. Uninteresting lineing.
That before the style, I love to be close to conversational speech to the talking, but I don’t think it’s my style. Now there are many who writes.
Without a plan, it’s still nowhere, he helps to look at what you write, as if on top, to see a fragment of the text, over which you work, part of the Large Labor.
No matter how cool, and the novel is not a stack of stories, chopped on each other.
There are no tricks here. Remember, the school was given a task – to make a plan for the story of the classic. Here the situation is reverse: it is required to make a plan for the work of another non-existent and on it, however to recreate some text from the void. I just do a list of chapters, a memo, what should happen there. Then, on the items, sign exemplary events in chapter.
If something changes in the process of writing, then. While I am writing a plan, I correct a lot, I leave alone, I think, but even after that any changes still arise. This is a rather mobile process. The number of points in the plan is Miscellaneous: I approximate how many chapters are required in the novel, how much should happen inside the chapter.
– What is harder in the work of the writer: write a draft version of the book, come up with the heroes and plot or samoretatura?
– Samornodature is unequivocally. It seems to be finished, but no. The most difficult thing in my sense developing is that when you start reread, the same thoughts that arose during the letter come to mind. And in this thought unwittingly jump through those places that the editor will notice.
And when you think up, make up a plan, write – for you the text itself is in some way a surprise, surprises finds, jokes. Heroes, taking personal traits, are accepted to conduct dialogues, which are not inventing already – they themselves appear.
Such an attraction that I advise everyone.
– What we usually cut out of the text when you work on the book? What advise those who suffer with the editors of their texts?
– I remove what I do not like, add what seemed interesting. But it should not be an infinite process. You can rule forever, and still there is some nonsense in the large text, I assure you. You just need to know that you are not a dictation written, but history. Re-read a couple of times, take yourself in your hands, get ready for the shame and shove the manuscript to addresses, apply publishers and editors at any convenient case.
– Dovlatov tried to keep all the words in one sentence from different letters, and the same words were repeated on the page. Do you have any rules in the editor?
– I am also oppressed by the usual, the cooked phrases of the type "Whipped as a sheet", "Blue as the sky", "Red Like Blood", "Golden Autumn". Cobats when the selection is visible to the selection so that the word does not happen in the text. Slightly confessing the need to invent certain actions in the dialogues. Engless-speaking SAID, Said, Said, Said, Said. We also have anyone "itching", "nods", "curses in a fist", "squinting" and so on. But still, your hands themselves are drawn, so that between the words of the direct speech any action to embal.
Photo: "Elena Shubina Editorial Office"
– You write every day?
– When I know what to write about, yes, every day. And if I do not know, I can invent for several months that and how. Because if I do not like, then what’s the point to expect that the reader will suddenly go? Better stop, think. No one hurries, contrary to the myths that there are some bondage contracts, and if the writer did not meet on time, they come to him the strong guys from AST or Livebook and are sitting in baseball bats.
– The film "Petrov in the Influenza" should go on the hire this year. You were attracted to work on the film? Do you like Chulpan Hamataya and Semen Sersin on top?
– It seems to be going to insert me into a frame in some way, but I successfully elude due to employment.
And yes, the choice that Kirill Serebrennikov did when I was looking for actors to the main roles, it suits me quite. But even if it did not suit – the director, in the end, the visual row should be, how people should look like in a frame, how and what they have to play.
– "Most people dealing with literature are essentially sobed their lives. They do something that does not bring anything but some mental work "- Your quote from one interview. Do you think that the writer is not easy to succeed?
– Success – the same measure. Platonov successful was man? Or, maybe, Tsvetaeva? But at least remember them. And hundreds or thousands of people, conventionally speaking, lived about the same not very funny life, also engaged in literature and just rushed into the emptiness, as they are awesome in the void of dozens of modern writers, even very popular now.
And in the past, and now so inevitably happens. Occasionally flashes in memory: "And where, in fact, a certain N, just a couple of years ago annealing?"And everything, no n. Whole musical groups – fewn! What to say about such unlike things like writers. And after a hundred years? And through two hundred? Several names familiar to specialists.
If you carefully look at what is now being taken for success or was always taken, then this is the visible well-being minus all the unknown public of trouble.
– And you consider yourself a successful writer?
– Yes, I am quite a successful writer. And successful writers in Russia dozens, if not hundreds. They work in different genres and are successful in them. I watch my ribbon in Facebook – almost twice a week comes out a noticeable book. Almost every one is an event for a particular reader.
Top books from Alexey Salvan
"Gubernsky essays", "Lord Podleov", Mikhail Saltykov-Shchedrin
A multi-headed novel "The provincial essays" – masterfully made, magic, more relevant than, oddly enough, "Sugar Kremlin" Sorokina, more merry most of the modern satire. In the XIX century, they believed due to literature and caricatures, and now it is more attempting to mix like-minded people than a desire to change something in the worldview of the reader. More than some kind of referral to the infoovode, which will forget in a couple of weeks, when a new rattle will appear in the next pseudopolitic Mirka, which will score with the Facebook ribbon. In the end, the novel "The provincial essays" is completed, that is, the existence of cavalcades of heroes masterfully explained by the last phrase.
"Enchanted Wanderer", Nikolay Leskov
Heroes Leskova are interesting because with all the seeming muddyness, sometimes cut off from the world, the most miserable of them are sometimes stronger than most modern people. They surprise wonderful quality: they know exactly who they believe, can confirm their faith quotes from the Gospel. Even seemingly lost – it is still some kind of goal.
"Information", "Money", Martin Emis
Books Martina Emis – a very honest thing, full of wonderful details from the life of a middle-aged person. Among other things, there is a share of such kitchen Mysitianism in it, this is the intuitive feeling of karma, which, it turns out, surprisingly brings us closer to the British. Read and understand that not we are all different, people in white light.